St George took up the monastic life from his youth during the 9th Century, and went to Mount Maleon in the Peloponnesus, where a community of monks gathered about him. He foretold his death from three years before, and reposed in an odour of sanctity.
Dismissal Hymn (Plagal of Fourth Tone)
With the rivers of your tears, you have made the barren desert fertile. Through sighs of sorrow from deep within you, your labours have borne fruit a hundred-fold. By your miracles you have become a light, shining upon the world. O George, our Holy Father, pray to Christ our God, to save our souls.
Kontakion (Second Tone)
O Father George, you did wisely disdain the pleasures of earth and on wings of virtue find rest in the abodes of the incorporeal choirs in heaven. And you intercede unceasingly for us all.
Also Celebrated Today Are:
- Righteous Plato the Studite
- Nicetas the Hieromartyr, Struggler of Serrai (1808)
- Righteous Zosimas
- Theonas, Archbishop of Thessaloniki, Founder and Renovator of the Sacred
- Monastery of Saint Anastasia of Pharmakolytria, Halkidiki
- Theodoulos and Agathopous of Thessaloniki