Bishop Ezekiel of Dervis
Born in 1938 in Akrita Kilkis of Macedonia. He graduated in 1962 the Theological College Halki (Constantinople). He was ordained deacon in July of 1962 in Constantinople and in September of the same year he arrived in Sydney, where he was ordained Priest on Sunday 30th of September at Dubbo NSW during the consecration of the Church of Panagia Myrtidiotissa. After his ordination to the Priesthood he served the Greek Orthodox Parish-Community of St. Gerasimos Leichhardt (Sydney) temporarily, and following this as Parish priest at the Church of All Saints Belmore (Sydney) for 15 years.
He was elected Bishop on the 1st of March 1977 by the Holy Synod of the Ecumenical Patriarchate, with the honorary title of Dervis and was appointed Assistant Bishop to Archbishop Stylianos.
As Assistant Bishop he served for three years in Perth and five years in Adelaide. From 1984 he is serving as the Assistant Bishop to the Archbishop in Melbourne.BACK TO TOP
Bishop Seraphim of Apollonias
Born in 1949 in Athens. After the completion of his secondary education at Halandri of Attica, he attended and studied Theology at the University of Salonika. He continued with post-graduate studies at the faculty of Practical Theology at the same University.
He was ordained Deacon in 1975 and priest at the end of the same year, serving for four years at the Holy Archdiocese of Thyateira and Great Britain.
In 1980 he was appointed to the Holy Metropolis of Nea Krini and Kalamaria, where he served for six years as parish priest of the Church of Saint Paraskevi.
In 1986 His Eminence Archbishop Stylianos of Australia invited him to the Fifth Continent and appointed him parish priest at the Archdiocesan Church of St. Eustathios, next to His Grace the Assistant Bishop of Derbis Ezekiel, in Melbourne.
On the 12th of March 1991 he was unanimously elected a Bishop, with the honorary title of Apollonias. He serves in the First Archdiocesan District of New South Wales and the Australian Capital Territory, based in Sydney, as Assistant Bishop to the Archbishop.BACK TO TOP
Bishop Nikandros of Dorileou
His Grace Bishop Nikandros (in the world Nikolaos Palyvos) of Dorileou was born in Styra of Karystia in the year 1947.
His Grace Bishop Nikandros studied at the Theological School of the University of Athens and graduated in 1974, and also attended lessons at the Law School of the University of Athens for three years.
Bishop Nikandros was ordained in the priesthood as a Deacon in 1969 and as a Priest in 1970. He was the parish priest in the Metropolis of Karystia and Syros as well as being the Vicar General to the Metropolitan.
From the year 1989 he assumed the role of the Parish Priest of St. Alexander in P. Faliro as well as the Secretary of the Metropolis of Nea Smyrni.
His Grace also taught Theology in the Greek secondary education system for eighteen consecutive years.
In September 2000, having received a Canonical certificate of discharge from the Metropolis of Nea Smyrni, he joined the clergy in the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese in Australia, assuming the responsibility for the Parish of St. John in Carlton, Melbourne.
His Grace was ordained as a Bishop on Sunday 25 February, 2001, and arrived in Perth on Friday 2nd March taking on the responsibility of the Fifth Archdiocesan District of Western Australia. In June 2002 His Grace was transferred to the Third Archdiocesan District of South Australia and Northern Territory, based in Adelaide, and is also responsible for the Fifth Archdiocesan District.BACK TO TOP
Bishop Iakovos of Militoupolis
Born John Tsigounis in Kogarah, Sydney. His Grace Bishop Iakovos completed his secondary studies at Model Farms High School, Baulkham Hills, in 1983.
He then studied at St Andrew’s Theological College of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Australia between 1992-1995, before completing three years of postgraduate studies at the Sydney College of Divinity.
Having been ordained Deacon by His Eminence Archbishop Stylianos in 1993, he served as his Protodeacon for the following seven years, while also working as the on-campus Tutor of the Theological College until 2001.
In 1999 he was ordained Presbyter by His Eminence, receiving the name Iakovos, in honour of the Dean of the Theological School of Halki and spiritual father of His Eminence, the late Metropolitan Iakovos of Ikonium. In 2000 he was bestowed the title of Archimandrite.
Following his ordination to the Priesthood, he served the Cathedral of the Annunciation of the Theotokos, Redfern, and then the Parish-Community of the Resurrection of Christ, Kogarah.
In 2002 His Eminence appointed him to the large Parish-Community of Sts Anargyri, in Oakleigh, Melbourne, as well as to the administration offices of our Archdiocese in Melbourne, with His Grace Bishop Ezekiel of Dervis, where he served until his election to the Episcopate.
On 11th January 2011, he was unanimously elected Bishop with the esteemed title of Militoupolis, and serves in the Second District of Melbourne.BACK TO TOP